Tuesday, April 01, 2008

What Not to Wear: Md Sheep and Wool Edition

So, what does one wear to a knitting festival? Seriously, I’ve never been to a major one, just the Pittsburgh Knitting Festival. Poking around on Ravelry and talking to real life knitters yields two schools of thought on the upcoming Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival:
  1. OMG, a knitting festival, I have to wear hand knits! How else will everyone know I’m a knitter? (Um, by the sack of yarn you just bought hanging off your arm?) Seriously, this fascinates me. Is it a desire to show off a little? (And I’m not saying this is a bad thing because knitting can be darn hard work and of course you should be proud to wear what you make.) Is it to establish some kind of street cred? I really want to know. I’m participating in this by casting on for Flair, hoping I can get it done in time to wear to the festival. But school #2 gives me pause….
  2. Wear your precious handknits? Are you insane? This school of thought implies to me that this is not a simple trip to see sheep and buy yarn. No, we are preparing for a great journey to the wilderness. We must pack a sherpa with water, wear good hiking shoes, dress in careful layers, and be prepared to get really, really dirty. In all seriousness, this seems like excellent advice because I don’t want to ruin my handknit socks in the mud, I don’t want to pay inflated prices for water, and I don’t want to get overheated in my handknits and pass out, therefore missing the booth with the Socks That Rock.

So is there a common ground for these two schools of thought? What do you wear to a knitting festival?

7 comments:

LisaBe said...

you are mocking me. i can tell.

i'm torn. i like to wear things i've knitted when i'm going to be around knitters because they appreciate them more than nonknitters do. they'll notice and it gives me a chance to feel good about something i've made. but i know that it's also going to be muddy and hot and crowded, and who wants to put precious handmade clothes into that environment? so it'll be a ravelry tee and sweatshirt or a handknitted top and capelet. i don't know yet.

DrBabyMamaDrama said...

I am imagining people doing "knitting fights" like the Sharks and Jets in West Side Story. Lol at needing street cred.

Unknown said...

well, when talking to someone from MD who was at Bloomin Yarns recently, she indicated that the fight to get to Socks that Rock is kinda brutal. Oh and apparently people get there way early trying to find vendors that will sell before they are supposed to. is this like the Black Friday of yarn that we're going to?

I seriously don't know if I'm cut out for this. I'm all for just wearing a knitting related t shirt:) and maybe a big. LOL.

I think it's a bit of showing off, but not in a bad way. I also agree that it has to do with the fact that you are surrounded by those who will appreciate your hand knits. On the other hand, is it like wearing the band t shirt to the concert?

Unknown said...

that should read bib!

cosymakes said...

the people who chatted with me about it on my blog were a little less extreme :) wear the handknits, but layer and be prepared to put them around your waist.

i'm actually knitting my first real big adult sweater for myself just for the occasion. realistically, i assume i won't be wearing it much.

Ben and Cori Momma said...

I'm no expert but the thought of wearing something warm (and precious) to a place that is no doubt going to be crowded (and thus hot) seems against logic to the novice knitter that I am. Have fun!

Amy said...

I did wear a hand-knit vest to the festival I went to in Ohio...but it was no where near as crowded and dirty as it sounds like Maryland is. I got a few comments, but not as many as I had expected to.

If I could convince myself to go to Maryland this year, I would probably wear a store bought layers plus a nice hand-knit shawl or scarf.

Although if I finished Ivy I might be tempted to wear it.